One thing I love to do with my Grandparents is to check out new cafes in Christchurch! When I used to stay with my Grandma when I was a student we used to go to Pukeko Junction! there whole food philosophy is based on creating food that you would expect to be served if you are to gather with friends in your home. I fell in love with their Pumpkin, Feta and Bacon Tart and alongside my Grandma we decided to create our own recipe! I think its even better than Pukeko Shhh don't say anything. This is a family favourite and I hope it becomes yours too!
| Ingredients |
250g Streaky Bacon
1 Tbsp Oil
1 Block Feta
1/2 Cup Cream
1/2 Cup Fine Parmesan
Store Bought or Home made Short Crust Pastry
Salt and Pepper
| Method |
- Preheat oven to 180. Chop Pumpkin into cubes and use your hands to spread the oil over the pumpkin. Sprinkle with Garlic Salt. Pour pumpkin into roasting tray and cut small cubes of butter and spread throughout the pumpkin. Cook for 30-40 minutes until pumpkin is golden and buttery. Remove from the oven.
- Cook Pastry according to instructions on the packet.
- Whilst the pastry is in the oven, cook rashers of bacon in a fry pan and set aside.
- Remove pastry from the oven and decrease the temperature to 160 and let the pastry cool slightly.
- Whisk eggs, cream, parmesan and a pepper with a tiny bit of salt.
- Arrange pumpkin, feta and bacon over the pastry and pour over the egg mixture.
- Place in the oven for 20-30 minutes
- Remove from the oven when the egg is set and Golden and ENJOY!!